Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday - what a weekend!

Well, I had my knee surgery on Wednesday. I had torn meniscus that had to be removed and cleaned up. It went very well. I was home by noon. Thursday I just rested and iced my knee and took pain killers. We also went to the optometrist Thursday afternoon. I'm trying contacts again. Both Thursday and Friday, they gave me a horrible headache. Friday I worked from home. I felt good most of the day, but had to lay down for an hour or so due to the headache from the contacts. It was debilitating. Friday night, Dennis and I stayed at home and went to bed early.

Saturday, Dennis got busy cleaning the bedroom. The dust was starting to pile up, making it difficult for him to breathe. He washed the sheets, vacuumed and was just getting ready to mop. He went into the garage to get the mop bucket and stepped into a puddle of water. That's when he discovered that the hot water heater was leaking from the top, spilling onto the floor and seeping into the baseboards and walls. Ugh. We turned off the water main to stop the leak, and paused the washing machine. We called a plumber, but they couldn't be here until 4 (it was noon). So we called another plumber who could get here quicker. The guy arrived and within 5 minutes, determined that our water heater was shot and needed to be replaced. At the same time, we also called our home owner's insurance and ServPro.

It was a crazy day. ServPro got here and started ripping up the baseboards, taking pictures, testing for moisture. It was insane. I was trying to rest and ice my knee, but kept having to get up to look at this or that or answer this or that. After all of the commotion, we ended up with a new gas water heater, a new valve, a new hose bib, and 6 ServPro fans and 1 ServPro dehumidifier in our house. The fun is only beginning. We are considering taking the opportunity to remodel our bathroom. Ray's coming Monday to look it over. ServPro is coming Monday to see if every thing's dry and take their equipment back.

I added a photo album of the pictures Dennis took while all of this was going on. It's quite a mess.

Saturday after all of this was done, Lyn and Dan came down for cocktails. Lisa and Patrick came later. We had a great time drinking, hanging out, listening to music and goofing off. We did a little karaoke later in the evening, and Lisa and Patrick left about 2:30am. It was LONG day. The boys let us sleep until about 8 this morning (WOW). We haven't done much today - the boys have done a lot of sleeping.

Tomorrow it's back to the office. I'm ready for it. My knee feels pretty good. I'll just have to take it slow so it can continue to heal. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I also posted a new link on Examiner.com if you would care to check it out. You can get there by clicking on the link to my page that is to the left under the Picasa album of water damage.

Have a great week!
Picture: water heater platform and water heater after damaged unit removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment